“[T]he Ghanaian “kenkey” is probably the origin of the Barbadian word, conkie for the above traditional food. In Ghana, Kenkey refers to similarly prepared corn meal dishes.”
In Jamaica, this is a popular traditional food known asDukunuaka Blue Draws (Blue Drawer's) aka Tie-A-Leaf! Above it is pictured wrapped in banana leaf but when i'm making it at home, i use aluminium foil. The main ingredient is normally cornmeal, sweet potato or cassava but yam may also be used.
Aloe vera which is referred to as 'Single Bible' or 'Sinkle Bible' here in Jamaica is the bible for the human body. Sinkle bible is an aromatic herbaceous plant that grows well in dry, stony soil. It has long, pointed, fleshy leaves with prickly edges. When the leaf is cut open it has a clear gel. (Ivelyn Harris, Healing Herbs of Jamaica, 129)
When i was in high school a few years ago, i would occasionally use the plant in my hair as a natural conditioner. Now since my Lent challenge 2013, i've taken to consuming a little aloe vera juice before bed in the nights. Despite my dislike for water (*que taunt at Waterboy* :: "Water sucks! It really, really sucks!") i prefer having a higher water to aloe vera content, it is an acquired taste. The aloe vera drink is a colon cleanser that should aid in the elimination and detoxification process.
Aloe vera is the most impressive medicinal herb invented by nature! It offers potent, natural medicine that:
• Halts the growth of cancer tumors.
• Lowers high cholesterol.
• Eases inflammation and soothes arthritis pain.
• Protects the body from oxidative stress.
• Prevents kidney stones and protects the body from oxalates in coffee and tea.
• Alkalizes the body, helping to balance overly acidic dietary habits.
• Cures ulcers, IBS, Crohn’s disease and other digestive disorders.
• Reduces high blood pressure natural, by treating the cause, not just the symptoms.
• Nourishes the body with minerals, vitamins, enzymes and glyconutrients.
• Accelerates healing from physical burns and radiation burns.
• Halts colon cancer, heals the intestines and lubricates the digestive tract.
• Ends constipation.
• Stabilizes blood sugar and reduces triglycerides in diabetics.
• Protects the kidneys from disease.
• Boosts cardiovascular performance and physical endurance.
• Speeds recovery from injury or physical exertion.
• Hydrates the skin, accelerates skin repair (acne be gone lol)
Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/021858_aloe_vera_gel.html#ixzz2NxpEqwRK